If you are looking for a business idea with a very small investment, then this article is for you. In this article, we will discuss how and why to start a photo editing business.
Why This Business?
We are living in an age of social media. Tik Tok, Instagram, Facebook and Youtube have taken the whole globe by a storm. Which ever social media platform we visit to, we see people posting videos and photos on it.
Earlier, there used to be photo studios, which used to do the job of photography, but now it has become a cake walk for every body.
Today, clicking photos and videos has become a very easy job as every one has a high quality digital camera in his pocket. Every one among us loves to get his/her photos clicked and posting them on various social media platforms has become a new trend.
The trend of posting photos on social media has put all the social media users into a race of outshining others. Every one tries to have his/her photos clicked in a professional way, so that they can stand out from the rest of the photos.
Having impressive photos can make a person earn money, and that too in lakhs. Having better photos has helped thousands of people, gather a good following and turn themselves into social media influencers.
To give a professional look to the photos, and to impress others, and to gather a good social media following, people edit their photos. People edit their pictures either themselves or hire others to do so. This is where you can jump in and edit photos for people and get a good income.
Pros and Cons of Photo Editing Business
The advantages and disadvantages of photo editing business are discussed below:
The Advantages of this Business are discussed below:
- You will enjoy photo editing as it is an art of giving new touch of life and vibrance to the otherwise dull, dark and shabby photos.
- It is a very lucrative business as you can charge your customers a good amount of fee per photo. Photo editors in USA charge around 27 dollars per hour of photo editing.
- Photo editing business does not require any space. All it needs is a mobile or a laptop and some apps or softwares.
- It requires very little investment, as you already have a mobile phone and most of the photo editing apps are free.
- There is a huge market and you wont have to spend your time and energy in persuading others to hire you. People will come to you in flocks.
- The process of photo editing is quite simple and you can master it very easily.
- Once you master the photo editing skill, it wont take you too much of your time to edit a photo.
- Unlike other businesses, you dont need to deliver the products (edited photos) physically to your customers. You can deliver them through online mode. It will save you lot of time and money.
- This business does not have a lot of competition yet. This time is ripe for jumping into photo editing business.
The disadvantages of this business are discussed below:
- You will have to spend a lot of time indoors.
- Photo editing trends are changing every year, you will have to keep yourself in tune with the changes occuring with the passage of time.
- Satisfying customers is an art and in this business, you will meet customers having different tastes. Sometimes, after spending hours of your time in editing a photo, the customers might not get satisfied.
- You will have to buy some softwares to enhance your photo editing skills.
- A good photo editor requires a lot of creativity. You will have to develop it.
Since its advantages outweigh its disadvantages, so this business idea is a good choice.
Important Skills To Start A Photo Editing Business
If you want to earn money from photo editing and sail through the competition, you will have to master some skills. They are:
- Learning the use of various photo editing softwares and applications. It is very easy to master their use. You can do so by watching youtube videos in a matter of just few days.
- Knowing the details about various terms related to photography, like exposure, saturation, contrast etc. Knowing them will help you in understanding how to play with them. Understanding these terms will help you in estimating where to increase or decrease the saturation, exposure or contrast etc.
- Enhancing your creativity skills. Photo editing is all about manipulating with the photo’s foreground, background and colours. You must be creative enough to know, how to set all of them properly to get an impressive end product.
Apps and Websites For photo Editing
The applications that are required for photo editing business are Picsart, Snapseed, Adobe Lightroom, Adobe Photoshop etc.
Picsart and Adobe photoshop are more suitable for changing the unwanted parts of a photo, where as lightroom and snapseed are more useful for their color correction.
You may also need some websites to download various photo enhancing materials like sunflares, some pngs etc. To download such content, you can use pexels.com, pngwing.com, pixabay.com etc.
How to start a photo editing business
Once you master the photo editing skills, you can turn it into a business in the following manner:
- Make a Youtube Channel.
Create a youtube channel and start posting photo editing videos on that. Here, you need to give your contact email in the description box of your videos, so that people can contact you. Doing so will help you in showing your talent to the world and people will approach you for getting their photo editing work done. It will also help you in generating income through youtube.
- Become a free lancer.
There are many websites, that are looking for online photo editors. You can make a profile on any of such websites and join them as a freelancer. Once any body shows interest in getting his photos edited by you, the website will notify you about it.
- Make use of social media.
Make an instagram and Pinterest accounts and start posting your edited photos on them. Believe me, you will get a mindblowing response. Here, you can also post such photos, in which you compare the original images with the edited ones, to show to the world, how nice a photo editor you are.
Earning From Photo Editing Business
Photo editing business has an immense potential and you can get a decent monthly income from it. It can fetch you customers from all parts of the globe and you will earn in dollars.
A professional photo editor, on an average is charging 27 dollars per hour in United States and this can give you an idea of how much potential this business has.
If you start with a fee of 300 Rs per photo, you can have a starting earning of 9000 Rs per month. With the passage of time, when you develop well refined skills, you can charge even 10000 Rs per photo, and that can generate a monthly income of whopping 300000 Rs per month for you.
Also Check: Business Without Investment In India.
In this way, you can earn from the photo editing business without spending much time on it and without making any huge investments.