Who does not love to eat chicken and eggs in India? The demand for chicken and eggs is ever increasing, more so in winters and festivals. So, you can make use of this enormous demand of chicken and chicken products to start your business. It will be a source of good income for you right from the day one.
If you have patience and some capital, and want to earn a lot in short time, then poultry farming business idea is very suitable for you. Many educated youth are turning to this business and earning more than the salaried people.
You can also be a job giver rather than a job seeker, if you know how to start a poultry farming business and then run and upscale it efficiently. So, here is a detailed guide about how you can start your this business. Check it out.
Benefits Of Poultry Business?
If you are still wondering why you should jump into poultry farm business, then the following points will motivate you enough to do so:
- It is easy and does not involve any rocket science.
- There are lot of government schemes and programs, through which you will be able to get proper trainings and subsidized loans.
- There is a high demand for chicken and chicken products. You won’t have any difficulty in finding the customers.
- The yield produced is high, in terms of both eggs and chicken.
- It gives you quick returns as you start earning right from the first month.
- You dont need to buy any heavy and costly machinery.
- Poultry being white meat and comparatively less expensive is having highest market among all type of meats in India.
- You can start rearing other high yeild varieties like Kadaknath, which are in high demand.
How to start poultry farming?
In order to start your poultry farm business, you need to chalk out a sound business plan. The plan should take care of the following important points:
- Where should I start my poultry farm?
- How will I arrange the finances?
- Types and varieties of birds.
- preparing a list of equipment.
- How will I sell my poultry products?
- How can I be different from the other poultry farmers?
- How will I do marketing of my poultry produce?
- How will I cut the expenditures and be profitable?
Poultry Farm Business Location
You can start your poultry farm business anywhere, be it in the town or the village. Wherever, you find a cheap piece of land, easily accessible, that is feasible for your poultry farm. You can either buy this land or take it on rent.
Remember, that you need to have enough space in your poultry farm so that your birds don’t get crowded up. In such a case, there are high chances of spread of infection.
While choosing the location for your poultry farm, take care of the following things:
- Poultry farm should preferably be away from residential and industrial areas.
- It should be easily accessible. You should be able to transport feed and chicken in and out of your farm easily.
- It should have basic amenities like water and electricity.
- Poultry farm should be located in an elevated area to avoid water logging.
- It should be spacious enough to allow you set up different sheds for different kinds of birds.
- Make sure that your poultry farm has enough space for disposal pit and sick room.
Poultry farm can be of various types. They are tabulated below;
|Battery cage poultry farm||Birds held in a cage.||1 Square feet per bird.|
|Free-range poultry farm||Birds allowed to roam freely in a given range.||10 Square feet per bird.|
|Semi-range poultry farm||Birds are kept in coops and then given a small Penn to roam around.||5 square feet per bird|
|Completely wild poultry farm||Birds are allowed to move freely without any kind of limitation.||20 square feet per bird|
Additionally, in general for 100 birds, you will require a space of 50 square feet to store their stock.
Poultry Farming Business Total Cost
Leaving aside the land cost, the amount of money required to start a small-scale poultry farm is generally between Rs. 50,000 to Rs. 1.5 lakh. For a medium-scale poultry business, the investment required is approximately Rs. 1.5 lakh to Rs. 3.5 lakh. Large-scale poultry farms can be started with an investment of close to Rs. 7 lakh.
If you don’t have enough capital of your own to start the poultry farm business, then you can take a loan from any bank. Apart from direct loans, you can also take subsidized loans through various government schemes.
Types Of Birds For Poultry Business In India
Generally there are four types of chicken that are reared in a poultry farm. They are:
Layer Hen: layer hen is reared for eggs. It starts laying eggs at the age of 6 months and has a life of up to 15 months.
Broiler Hen: this hen is reared for meat. It grows very fast and its demand is highest in the market.
Desi Chicken: these are also in high demand as they have different taste. These chicken sell comparatively at a higher rate.
Special Chicken: these may include any exotic chicken, that are reared for their nutritional value or special taste. Example is Kadaknath Chicken, that is reared because it sells at a higher cost owing to a very high protein content in its meat and eggs.
- Reared for laying eggs
- Starts laying eggs at the age of 6 months.
- has a life of up to 15 months
- It can lay around 250 eggs per year
- Reared for meat.
- Grows very fast and has very high demand.
- Grow in 8 weeks.
- Main Source of income for poultry farmers.
- Reared for special reasons.
- Grow slowly but are in good demand.
- special in taste.
- A source of side income for poultry farmers.
Tools and Equipments Required For Poultry Business
In order to successfully run your business, you will require the following tools and equipments.
- baby chicken guards
- laying houses
- Egg trays
- Egg washers
- Lighting fixtures
- Brooders or heaters
- Ventilation system
- Waste disposal system
Cost Of Starting A Poultry Farm Business
The cost of starting a poultry farm business depends upon the location and scale of your business. Keeping costs accruing due to location aside, the cost of starting a poultry farm business is as;
|Type Of Farm||Cost (INR)|
|Small Scale||0.5 Lakh to 1.5 Lakh.|
|Medium Scale||1.5 Lakh to 4 Lakh|
|Large Scale||4 Lakh to 10 Lakh|
If you don’t have enough money with you, then there is a good news for you. There are various govt schemes in almost all states, through which you can take subsidized loans from any bank of your choice.
Licenses and Registration Required
The necessary licenses and registration required to run a poultry farming business in India are:
- Agreement with your electricity department to enjoy hassle free power supply.
- No Objection Certificate (NOC) from your municipality or town area committee, as the case may be.
- MSME/Udyam registration to get various benefits under different government schemes.
- Business registration to register your business with the government.
- Trademark registration to be a brand and to prevent others from exploiting your name.
Management Of Poultry Farm
Even though this business is easy to start and is very profitable in nature, but it has its own risks. If those risks are not managed, it can prove to be a loss making venture.
To manage your farm in a better way, make sure that you follow the steps given below;
- Always give high quality feed and clean water to your birds.
- Maintain health and hygiene of your chicken.
- Provide necessary vaccinations, as and when necessary.
- Enroll yourself for any training program before you start your business.
- Keep chicken sellers in loop.
- Keep an eye on what is happening in the market.
If you don’t follow the steps given above, the chances of turning this otherwise profitable business into a loss making venture become very high.
Marketing Of Poultry Business
Now, when you have successfully set up your business, next step is to advertise and market your business to get the first customers. While marketing your business, you can follow the steps given below;
- Make your website, and social media handles.
- Keep videos of how you run your farm on your online portals.
- Run a social media ad campaign to promote your business.
- Advertise in the local dailies of your area.
- Distribute pamphlets among the people.
- Maintain quality to help your business grow through word of mouth.
Profit Margin In Poultry Farming Business
Poultry farm business is very profitable in nature. Every product of a poultry farm is sold at a good cost, be it the feathers, the poop, the eggs or the chicken itself. The profit margin, however depends upon your scale of operation, management of risks and level of marketing of your business.
In general, a small scale poultry farm owner earns a profit of around INR 30000 to INR 50000 per month. And, a large scale poultry business generates a profit of more than INR 120000 per month.
While, you are running your business, make sure that you tie up with chicken retailers and restaurant owners to help you get speedy selling of your chicken. It is because, a heavier chicken becomes more of a liability for a farm, than an asset.
So this was all about the Poultry farm business. We are sure that you would have loved reading this article. If you did, kindly share it with your friends.
Also Check: Jasper AI, All Details
Yes, poultry business is very profitable in nature. Every thing that is produced right from the chicken itself to its poop is in high demand in the market. However, there are some risks associated with this business also like the vulnerability of chicken towards diseases among others. If these risks are not mitigated, the chances of this business becoming a loss generating turn very high.
In order to successfully run your poultry farm, you will require a lot of tools and equipment. They are Perches, Egg washers
Lighting fixtures, feed containers, watering gadgets, cages, heaters, foggers, baby chicken guards, feeders, laying houses, and brooding hover.
The cost of starting a poultry farm in India ideally depends upon your location and scale of your business. To start a small scale business, you will require an amount of INR 0.5 Lakh to INR 1.5 Lakh. To run a large scale Poultry farming business, you should have an amount of INR 4 Lakh to INR 10 Lakh with you.